Friday 6 March 2015

All night, afloat

"Michael A Grammar" is the title of a song from the band Broadcast.
It's also the name of a band itself but to avoid confusion with their pals London Grammar, I'm going to give you a bit more details about them.
Signed under the Mancunian label Melodic Records, it's the kind of band that I don't want to share with anyone, like when you choose a meal that has some strange ingredients in a restaurant but it turns out super tasty and you want to keep it all for yourself. Sometimes (but rarely) I discover a band and I feel like I won the lottery. Michael A Grammar is certainly a winning bet.
I discovered them last year with their debut album but haven't had a chance to see them live yet. Their sound is quite specific to a certain era (post-punk, shoe gaze, psychedelic...) but like a pasta bolognese recipe, Michael A Grammar has nailed an authentic sound and they do it with style.
The drum roll along with excited crescendo, upbeat snares. Sometimes, the guitar venture alone in a hazy, fuzzy and distorted world and the subtle bass settles everything together. The sound slowly unfolds like a smoke in a bright and airy room which gives a sense of plenitude.
Have a listen to the first track "Upside Down":

"Don't Wake Me" finishes up the album:
If you enjoyed this, I would recommend (in no particular order): Joy Division, the Stone Roses, the Jesus and Mary Chain, Tame Impala, My Bloody Valentine...

No comments:

Post a Comment